Relieve Coughing with Hydrocodone and Homatropine Syrup
Hydrocodone and Homatropine Syrup, also known as Hycodan or Hydromet, is an upper respiratory combination drug used to relieve coughing. However, it is important to note that this medicine contains an opioid drug, which can put you at risk for addiction, abuse, and misuse. Misuse or abuse of this syrup can lead to overdose and death.
Warnings and Precautions
Before taking Hydrocodone and Homatropine Syrup, it is important to consult with your doctor and be aware of the following warnings:
- This medicine has an opioid drug in it, which can cause severe side effects when used with benzodiazepines or other drugs that may make you drowsy or slow your actions.
- Many drugs interact with Hydrocodone and Homatropine Syrup and can raise the chance of side effects like deadly breathing problems.
- Do not take with alcohol or products that have alcohol as unsafe and sometimes deadly effects may happen.
- Get medical help right away if you feel very sleepy, very dizzy, or if you pass out.
- This medicine may cause very bad and sometimes deadly breathing problems. Call your doctor right away if you have slow, shallow, or trouble breathing.
- Even one dose of Hydrocodone and Homatropine Syrup may be deadly if it is taken by someone else or by accident, especially in children.
- Do not take if you are pregnant as it may lead to withdrawal in the newborn baby.
How to Take Hydrocodone and Homatropine Syrup
Hydrocodone and Homatropine Syrup should be taken as ordered by your doctor. It can be taken with or without food, but it is important to drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor. The liquid doses should be measured carefully using the measuring device that comes with the syrup. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Hydrocodone and Homatropine Syrup. Do not use a household teaspoon or tablespoon to measure the syrup as it could lead to the dose being too high.
Possible Side Effects
All drugs may cause side effects, and Hydrocodone and Homatropine Syrup is no exception. Some common side effects include feeling sleepy, dizzy, headache, dry mouth, upset stomach, or constipation. However, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking this drug. Call your doctor or get medical help right away if you experience any signs of an allergic reaction, high or low blood pressure, pancreas problem, chest pain or pressure, fast or abnormal heartbeat, seizures, severe constipation or stomach pain, change in eyesight, feeling very tired or weak, trouble passing urine, mood changes, or adrenal gland problem.
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.